The International Student Council is the governing body of international students at Shanghai Jiao Tong University. Founded in November 2009, it is an embodiment of Shanghai Jiao Tong University’s commitment to its international students and the School of International Education’s dedication to excellence. It was created specifically to foster a sense of community among the international students, to bolster communication between the international students and the local students, and to provide a platform on which international students can display and develop their talents and abilities.
The International Student Council is headed by a board of six presidents elected by the students and is comprised of eight departments:
- Academics, which works tirelessly to bring competitive events, tutoring sessions, and other learning opportunities to the student body
- Arts & Culture, the organizer of major student events, most notably the traditional Christmas Banquet and the Mini Expo
- Athletics, where international students are united by their love of sports to organize various sport teams, from volleyball to basketball, from badminton to tennis
- Editorial, which documents international student events and transforms them into finely printed, full-colored volumes of the International Student Magazine, or I.S.M.
- Office, which provides behind-the-scenes support for the International Student Council
- Publicity, responsible for spreading the word on the latest international student activities and for managing the image of the international student body to the local community
- Relations, a newly established department responsible for event sponsorships, joint cooperative events, and contacting those outside of the international student community
- Volunteers, which joins forces with local student’s organizations and societies to bring volunteering opportunities to international students who are eager to explore and contribute to the local community